Welcome to Wondering Aloud -- a blog about introducing philosophy to pre-college students. I'm the director of the University of Washington Center for Philosophy for Children, and I started this blog to create another way to communicate about doing philosophy with young people.

The blog includes posts about some of my philosophy classes with pre-college students, thoughts about doing philosophy with young people, and ideas for how to introduce philosophy in K-12 classrooms and with your own children! Also check out our website,
http://www.philosophyforchildren.org/, for more resources and ideas.

My hope is that this blog will help further the online community of those interested in pre-college philosophy, and will illustrate the vitality and joy of talking about philosophy with young people.

Jana -- September 2008

Monday, February 4, 2013

Michael Rosen's Sad Book

The nature of sadness. Michael Rosen's Sad Book describes how sadness feels and tries to understand it. "Sometimes sad is very big. It's everywhere. All over me." Michael Rosen's son, Eddie, died, and that, he tells us, is what makes him most sad.

"Sometimes I'm sad and I don't know why. It's just a cloud that comes along and covers me up." Rosen asks these questions: Where is sad? When is sad? Who is sad?

How do we respond to sadness? The book examines whether memories can make us feel less sad. And does it help to know that sadness affects everyone?

No comments: